To be eligible to apply to the Fund, HRDs must fulfil the below criteria:
- HRDs or human rights organisations must respond to the HRDs definition as proposed by UN Declaration on HRDs
- Be at risk because of their peaceful and apolitical actions taken to promote and/or protect human rights
- Not involved in violence or perceived to promote violence
- Demonstrate an existing need in legal protection
- Citizenship in the region or protection needs arising from the region; and
- Requests must be only for exclusive and complementary assistance i.e, all requests that result in overlap or double funding will be rejected.